Event Services & Camps / Camps & Community ProgramsBasketball Camp
Cardinal Elite Camp
• This camp will offer players with higher skill levels an opportunity to continue to progress and improve their basketball skills.
• Recommended for players with school or AAU playing experience at the Middle School, JV or Varsity Levels.
Highlights of the Cardinal Elite Camp:
• Skill development sessions with Coach Rusthoven and the Cardinal coaching staff
• Competition against great individual players
• Teamwork and a competitive game environment.
• Team concepts combined with offensive and defensive fundamentals.
• Intense focus on offensive and defensive concepts and drills.
• NCAA initial eligibility seminar.
• Each Camper receives a Cardinal Basketball Camp T-shirt.
Grades 9 – 12 (Fall 2017)
June 18: 12 – 4 p.m.
Cost: $50. Lunch is provided.
Co-Ed Cardinal Skills Camp
This camp will offer players with various skill levels an opportunity to continue to progress and improve their basketball skills.
Highlights of the Coed Cardinal Camp:
• Focus on meeting players where they are skill wise
• Two Leagues (East: Grades 2-4 / West: Grades 5-8)
• Strong emphasis on having fun and the enjoyment of the game
• Team concepts combined with offensive and defensive fundamentals
• Learn rules and terminology of the game
• Daily lectures on concepts of the game from the Cardinal coaching staff
• Fundamental teaching stations each day
• Every camper is on a team—scheduled subs gives equal playing time
• Each team runs a camp offense to understand the total team concept
• Various contests and awards each day
• Each Camper receives a Cardinal Basketball Camp T-shirt
Grades 2 – 8 (Fall 2017)
June 26-29: 1 – 4:30 p.m.
Meet the Camp Staff
Jamison Rusthoven is a 25-year basketball veteran and Minnesota native with heavy ties to the basketball coaching profession.
Coach Rusthoven was named the head men’s basketball coach at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota in April 2013 and took over a program in which he inherited only two players with extensive collegiate game experience. In the past four seasons the Cardinals have recorded the teams largest conference margin of victory in a single game since the 1956-57 season; a program-record 25 team assists in a single game; tied the best overall and conference record since the 1999- 2000 season; erupted for 106 points which were just four shy of the school-record 110 points, set against UM-Duluth during the 1952-53 season; poured in a season-high 13 3-pointers which was the most 3-pointers in a game since raining in 13 against Bethel on Jan. 19, 2008; put an end to a 12-game slide against the Gusties that dated back to Jan. 27, 2010; had 2 of the only 8 wins to date against Carleton, had the highest team GPA in recent memory (3.28); had 4 players all-conference honorable mention; five players named to the NABC Honors court; two players named Academic All-Conference and had one player named the schools Outstanding Senior Male. Coach Rusthoven has also been a clinic speaker at the Upper Michigan Coaches Association Fall Clinic and the Minnesota Basketball Coaches association Fall Clinic.
Throughout his college coaching career, Rusthoven has coached 12 All-First Year Team members, 27 First Team All-Conference players, 3 All-Americans, 2 players named Conference Players of the Year and 1 player named National Player of the year.
Coach Rusthoven has also worked at or directed camps at the University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, Eastern Michigan, UW-Platteville, Concordia – St. Paul as well as Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota.
State-of-the-art facilities for work and play
Campers will have daily access to our 78,000 square foot Recreational and Athletic Complex (RAC), Gostomski Field House. The center includes a natatorium with an eight-lane, 25-year pool and diving well, along with; an air-conditioned 45,000 square-foot multi-purpose arena which houses a 200 meter track, four multi-purpose courts, fully equipped weight room, aerobics/dance room and more. Synthetic flooring and net systems allow multiple activities to take place for recreation, sports practice and education.
Jul Gernes Pool
The Jul Gernes Pool is a competitive eight-lane pool with spectator areas for viewing men’s and women’s swimming competitions.
Saint Mary’s University Ice Arena
The Saint Mary’s Ice Arena features a near-Olympic-sized rink with new dasher boards and plexiglass. The arena boasts the reputation of having the best ice in western college hockey.
The Cardinals home gym features three regulation sized basketball courts as well as six glass backboards.
Challenge Ropes Course
The Challenge Ropes Course provides a unique and fun environment for experiential and adventure-based education. Diverse populations can participate in activities designed to build self-confidence and teamwork, as well as develop an understanding of the complexities of human nature through the use of a wide variety of elements & initiative.
For Residential Camps
A. Upon receiving full payment, the entire amount of the clinic less a $25.00 processing fee will be refunded provided the cancellation request is received no less than 10 working days prior to the scheduled camp/clinic starting date.
B. If no notice of cancellation is received 10 working days prior to the scheduled camp/clinic starting date, then Saint Mary’s University may retain all payments.
DOCUMENTED INJURY / ILLNESS CANCELLATIONS
If notice of cancellation due to an injury or illness is received in writing and documented through a physician’s statement prior to the scheduled camp/clinic starting date, a full refund will be assessed.
**All cancellations must be documented in writing from a physician**
Unforeseen circumstances will be handled on an individual basis.